Professional Service & Memberships:
State Bar of New Mexico
- Young Lawyers Division: Chair-Elect (2020); Vice Chair, Social Media & Membership Engagement Chair (2019); Board Member, Social Media Chair (2018)
- Children's Law Section: Budget Officer (2020), Secretary (2017-2019), Board Member (2018-2020), YLD Liaison (2017)
- Elder Law Section: YLD Liaison (2018)
- Solo & Small Firm Section member
- NM Women's Bar Association member
- NM LGBTQ Bar Association member
American Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Division
* YLD Liaison to the ABA Commission on Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity
* Vice Chair, Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity Committee; Resolutions Team Member; Affiliates Assistance Team Member (2019-20)
* YLD Scholar (2018-19): Law Student Outreach Team and Sexual Orientation &
Gender Identity Committee assignments
- Solo, Small Firm, & General Practice Division member
(505) 227-4554 (main office line); email@example.com; Paralegal, Shannon Rooney: firstname.lastname@example.org
This law office is a small firm with a single attorney and a paralegal--which means that each and every aspect of your case receives our personal and dedicated attention.
A small firm also means less overhead for us and lower attorney's fees for you. Let's work together to craft a framework of representation that meets both your legal needs and your personal budget.
Our office is only accepting new clients via Court appointments at this time.
Please keep us in mind for your future legal needs!
I moved from Tucson, Arizona to Albuquerque in December 2016, and have fallen in love with the mountains, the weather, and the people here.
Going into law school, I knew that I wanted to help people--I did not want to sit at a desk all day staring at numbers and proof-reading contracts for large companies! I was also intensely interested in personal dynamics, emotions, and the pressures that society puts on people. So I was immediately drawn to family and juvenile / children's law.
Focusing on family law issues throughout my studies, I edited and revised the self-service forms used by people representing themselves in divorce and paternity cases in Pima County, Arizona; represented children in abuse and neglect proceedings as a student attorney at the U of A; clerked for family and juvenile court judges; and earned a Certificate in Family and Juvenile Law.
Since January 2017, my law firm has focused on child welfare cases (representing either respondent parents or their children) and adult guardianships -- with a smattering of contested child custody cases, child support and parenting time modifications, multi-state child custody jurisdictional issues, simple estate planning, and probate.
ABA YLD Resolutions, Scholarly Publications, Presentations, & CLEs:
Constitutional Amendment 11-5 (Amending ABA YLD's Bylaws to use gender nonbinary terms.)
"Ethics / Professionalism: Cultural Competency Training Re LGBTQ Clients & Colleagues" (CLE moderator & organizer), ABA YLD Fall Conference (Oct. 5, 2019, New Orleans).
"Simple Tips to Keeping it Ethical & Professional with LGBTQ Cultural Competency," submitted for publication in TYL (Fall 2019).
"(De)Constructing the Family Law Rights Framework," Reimagining the Child: Proceedings of the 2016 Rutgers-Camden Graduate Student Conference in Childhood Studies, eds. Julian Burton & Katie Fredricks (September 2017).
Divorce & Division: Reincorporating the Marginalized Voices of Children, ProQuest Dissertations Publishing, thesis no. 1606039 (2015).
Honors & Awards:
University of Arizona
- Juris Doctor, cum laude
- Barbara A. Atwood Scholar
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Scholar
- CALI Award in Legal Research
- Outstanding Performance Award in Legal Writing
Western Association of Graduate Schools
- Nominee: Distinguished Master's Thesis Award
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Phi Beta Kappa
Notary Public (State of New Mexico)
I currently practice in the following areas:
* Kinship Guardianships (requesting appointment of adult caregivers as legal guardians for minor children in their home)
* Step-Parent Adoptions (assisting step-parents in legally adopting their spouse's children, no termination of the other parent's rights required!)
* Adult Guardianships (as guardian ad litem or petitioning attorney in cases involving allegedly incapacitated adults)
* Contested Custody (as guardian ad litem in contested custody cases, like divorces, parentage, and kinship guardianship)
* Abuse & Neglect (as guardian ad litem or youth attorney for children in foster care, or as attorney for Respondent Parents)
The content on this website is for general informational purposes only and should not be construed as formal legal advice. This website does not provide legal advice or services, and the use of any information on this site does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Copyright © The Law Office of Shasta N. Inman, LLC All Rights Reserved